6 slices crispy bacon, diced
6 large potatoes, diced
3 Tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
2/3 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup sour cream
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
Toppings: more Kayem bacon 😉 , cheddar cheese,
- First, make your Kayem bacon! Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place wire rack on top. Place bacon strips side by side on wire rack, making sure not to overlap. Cook for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove bacon and place on paper towels. Once cool, break into small bits. Keep to the side.
- Place soup pot on stove at medium heat. Add butter and onions and cook for 3-5 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add flour and stir until smooth.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth, milk, heavy cream, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and place 5 cups of soup, about half, in a blender. Purée until smooth.
- Return the puréed soup to the pot and add sour cream and Kayem bacon. Let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with Kayem bacon, cheddar cheese, and / or sour cream and baguette to dip! Enjoy!