As I was searching for a piece to place behind the boys’ bookcase, I was stuck between artwork and a bulletin board. When I weighed the pros and cons of both I ultimately chose the board route because I love the idea of pinning photos, art the boys make and keepsakes all at once! However, during the search, I fell short of affordable, cute options. That’s when my DIY light bulb popped up! I first saw Jennifer Hughes’ DIY linen pinboard here and knew I had to replicate. She always has great ideas and her taste and style are impeccable!
- 1″ – 1 1/2″ Insulation Board (HUGE board located in the back of the store. Ask an employee to cut into pieces of your choosing. I went with 4ft x 3ft and I have two more pieces leftover! Once I got home I actually went with one of the smaller boards and I’ll use the bigger board for the playroom.)
- Fabric (I chose a linen fabric from Jo-Ann’s Fabric for about $15. I had them cut it to 54″ x 42″ and it ended up being a little big so I just cut it accordingly).
- Staple Gun
- Pins (ours are from Target – make sure to get ones that are longer than your typical tack)
1.Lay out your fabric on a clean surface. Unfortunately, I thought the area on my living room floor was clean but there were smooshed peas! Learn from my mistake 🙂
2. Iron the creases. It does not need to be perfect since you will be pulling the fabric tightly when you staple. Place insulation board on fabric with design facing up.
3. Fold two opposite fabric sides over. Tightly pull one side and start stapling, leaving a few inches on the end.
4. Staple opposite side and again leaving a few inches on each end.
5. Fold the final two sides over. For the corners, fold as if you were wrapping a present.
6. Staple, staple, staple!
I really love how ours turned out. I do wish the sides were straighter but I plan to create another pinboard for the playroom soon. Next on the list.. painting that wall! If you make your own, comment below!